Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Our Kids' reactions

I knew that we were going to start the Foster Care classses and I wanted to tell our kids the plan. I knew that it would be a sacrifice for them and for me. So, we sat the whole family down and talked about it. We told them we decided to have another baby and that instead of having the baby ourselves we were going to adopt. Here are their reactions:

Trevor: "WHY?"
US: "Because we feel like Heavenly Father told us we should"
Trevor: "Well then I want to adopt a big kid!! "
US: "That's not going to happen"
Trevor: "WHY?"
US: "Because we want a baby"
Trevor: "Well can we at least get a boy?"
US: "Yes, Trevor we are going to try and get a boy"

Abbey is in the background raising her hand like she is at school.
Abbey: "Can we get a white baby?"
US: "Why Abbey?"
Abbey: "Because if you get a brown baby our family will go white, white, white, white, brown."
US: (Laughing because she is so honest) we say, "We'll see what happens"

Kyra and Jacob had nothing to say about it. Kyra did say she would help with the new baby though. When I went to my first class, they all asked if I was going to bring the baby home that night. Sadly the answer was no, no baby at the end of that night or any of the 7 nights I went to class. It will be different bringing a baby home for the DCFS office instead of the hospital.

Bobby and I went to the DCFS office to get our fingerprints yesterday. I was going to take pictures but I forgot :( When we pulled into the parking lot I mentioned to Bobby that this won't be the last time we come to this building. Oddly it did look a little like a hospital from the outside and a little like a doctor's office on the inside. I wanted to say "where are all the babies?" but I knew there wasn't any there.

In the 2nd class the teacher emphasized the importance of making sure our kids knew what we were getting into. They needed to know that a baby will come into our house and it is our job to love that baby and help take care of it while the birth mommy and daddy do what they need to do to get the baby back. If they do what they are supposed to do the baby goes away from our family. Honestly, going through all the classes and knowing what I know now, sending the baby back to it's mommy will be the hardest part. It not just going to be hard on me but on everyone.
We tried to explain all of this to our kids but I don't know if they REALLY understood. I guess we will see when it actually happens.

We ask all of you to pray for us! Pray that we will make it through all of this and not miss the babies that go back home too much!! I pray we don't have to send too many back before we get the one that is supposed to be in our family!!

3 comments:

  1. The kids will do fine. They'll understand as you talk with them more and more. Hard to understand it all from Conversation 1. :) I'm happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy! I'm thrilled! This is going to be an amazing experience for you and your children. Good luck, and call anytime you need a listening ear. :) I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by to see if there are any updates... how's it going?

    ReplyDelete